Friday, July 30, 2021

Bolt Action German

 



This was figure #1 for a Bolt Action German army which was a test bed for the color selections and some more experimentation on dipping (I'm still trying, lol).

Normally I paint fantasy miniatures which are either unique or maybe a small handful of monsters which create an encounter.  My son has a German army for the tabletop war game Bolt Action.  As we have some fifty guys to paint I decided to do one first as a test for a simple color scheme as well as the dip can for shading.

I used Reaper's paints as they had the best colors for the job - a medium grey for the helmet, field grey (which is more green than grey which is historically accurate), military grey for the pants, and black for boots and bits.  Bolt Action is a beer and pretzels game and not a historically accurate game - so my goal was something closely representing in the "it's good enough" category.  After blocking in the colors I then dipped it straight into Vallejo's Game Wash.

It's just too dark.  I've come to the conclusion that you can't really dip it.  

So I did a group of six models and used a mix that was about 1/3 wash and 2/3 water.  Instead of dipping I used a fat 8pt brush to spread the wash onto the model.  That's better.


Since then, we've some more units and we increased the wash a bit somewhere between 40/60 and 50/50.  That appears to be the right amount for this Vallejo Game Wash and not obliterating the model.



2 comments:

Dduelm said...

Nice job! I still use the black primer and shade up from there. Works great. Thanks for teaching me your method!
Dan

Rick Anderson said...

Hi Dan! Great to hear from you! Hope all is going well with the family and you're having success painting miniatures. I've started to broadcast my sessions on twitch so I can interact with friends - so follow me on my twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/rickajr and you'll get notified when I'm online - ping me during my broadcast - would love to see you there!