Monday, August 13, 2018

Reaper Miniatures Ankheg - 77230







I had some fun today painting up a squad of Ankhegs.  These were from the Bones line by Reaper and again I can't say enough good things on the value of this mini in Bones.  For $3.99 versus $13.79 for the metal version, you can build an entire squad at a reasonable cost - $16 versus $52 is some significant savings!

I painted these using the same technique with the difference being the undercarriage of the beast.  I wanted to give each one something different for some flavor - one set is purple, one green, one blue, and the other brown.  I also based these on Reaper's round bases that came with one of the Kickstarters.

The Ankheg was sculpted by Kevin Williams and I'm starting to get a liking for what he's done - recently I painted the four small dragons - red, green, blue, black and the two flower pods (death star lillies) as well as the fly demon.

Painting instructions for Ankheg (I went back to my Vallejo Game Colors)...

Step 1: Undercoat model with Charred Brown - gave entire model and base solid coat
Step 2: Drybrush Gory Red
Step 3: Drybrush Bloody Red
Step 4: Drybrush Orange Fire
Step 5: Drybrush Sunburst Yellow
Step 6: Use Black on claws
Step 7: Use Night Blue as highlights on claws
Step 8: Use Night Blue, Magic Blue, Electric Blue on undercarriage
Step 8: Use Scurvy Green, Jade Green, Foul Green on undercarriage
Step 8: Use Beasty Brown, Leather Brown, Plague Brown on undercarriage
Step 8: Use Royal Purple, Warlord Purple, Squid Pink on undercarriage
Step 9: Drybrush Earth on base
Step 10: Drybrush Khaki on base
Step 11: Drybrush Desert Yellow on base
Step 12: Drybrush Bonewhite on base

Kickstarter paint total: 110 + 4 Ankhegs = 114

No comments: