Saturday, June 24, 2023

WizKids Eidolon Possessed Sacred Statue - WZK90167

 


"Really, take my eyeball and I will CRUSH you!!" What a great sculpt of the classic first edition AD&D Player's Handbook cover drawing come to life.  So let's go down that path for a second as WOTC has crossed the streams a bit... it appears from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (page 177) that the classic drawing is a statue of the archdevil Moloch.  The entry for an Eidolon (page 193) states that it is a sacred undead guardian for the gods to protect the sites they deem holy - the Eidolon jumps into one of the sacred statues at the site and animates the statue with its actions.  Okay, so Moloch has a powerful statline, but the monster isn't a god.  Therefore, while I love the figure, it's not the figure for an Eidolon and its sacred statues - I believe the statues should have more of a Tomb Raider feel (perhaps one of my favorite movie scenes was there in the temple with the statues becoming animated).  Also, I agree with many of the comments on the stat page, I wouldn't wait until a 5/6 to animate a statue, I'd just allow it to jump from one statue to the next.

I also would have preferred this statblock to be huge or gargantuan.  Then I can use my dice tower purchased from Gamespot and animate it, brahahaha.  A recent game with the statue dice tower as a set prop for a temple encounter - also check out the cool t-shirt, lol...


Alright, back to this figure from Wizkids -- again, this was a simple airbrush solution of a dark red to a fiery orange and then given a black wash to tone it all down and pop out the stone cracks.  Give it a proper base and drybrush the greys and it's done.  I did give an attempt at an emerald eye - I still have a long way to go to make realistic gems - I did the inverse dark to light and then a spot of white - it looks okay but not great.  Overall though, I really like the way this one turned out and look forward to unleashing it on my players.


No comments: