Friday, September 10, 2021

WizKids Wraith & Specter - WZK72570

 






Another set of fantastic miniatures produced by Wizkids based upon the images pulled directly from the D&D monster manual.  The blue is the Wraith and of course the Wraith can have up to seven Specters in its control at any given time.  This product ships as a packaged set with the two pieces and both pieces are translucent plastic.

One could base them and use the models as is in their translucent state, but what fun would that be!  Plus, I had some new paint products I wanted to try.  I had a blue wash produced by Vallejo and from Games Workshop / Citadel, I have their Technical Tesseract Glow (which I used for the first time on the giant sword of the Genie Efreeti model painted just a few days ago).

I painted both of these models in a two hour session you can watch on twitch for the next two weeks: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1143345620

Both of these models were simplistic in the actual "painting" of the model - the Wraith I used Vallejo's Blue Wash - I watered that down just a bit as I wanted to maintain a translucency through the model and I figured that more thin layers for additional color could be added as needed.  That one turned out great and the wash acted almost like a stain on the clear plastic - it pretty much turned out exactly as I was hoping it would and very much like the result.

The Specter was a different story and I really struggled with the GW/Citadel Tesseract Glow paint.  It's potentially possible I don't know how to use it properly.  It appeared to work very well on the Genie Effeeti sword painted just a few days ago - that was a nice big flat surface which also was initially a clear plastic piece.  When placing the paint on the Specter it just wanted to fill the cavities of the robe, hair, chest and came out all blotchy.  It was a bit of frustration - so I ended up using three different layers letting the first layer almost act as a primer - I let each layer dry before adding the next.  The end result is a very cool neon glow piece but there's no translucency through the model - it's very opaque.  Maybe that's what I'm missing, I don't think this paint is intended to be translucent?  Maybe I should have set a layer of white or grey primer down first and then used the technical paint and I would have had a better go at it.  While it wasn't the initial look I was going for, the end result looks great and I'm looking forward to using on the game table!

If you have more experience with the Tesseract Glow technical paint from GW, then please comment below.


No comments: