Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dungeons & Dragons Lizard Folk - WOC 88284




Painting metal is so satisfying!  Some more heavy lead with a Jason Weibe sculpt he did for Wizards of the Coast's Dungeons and Dragons official line.  I believe this goes back to early 2000's immediately following the release of D&D v3. I have a number of different models and they all say 2001 on the metal slotta tag.

I really like this model (something I often say with Jason Weibe sculpts) and this is first of four I have in my collection.  I plan on painting all the others as well - they're prepped and ready to go!  I wanted to give this first one the color scheme and then I'll replicate that on the other three.  I based it to closely resemble the paint scheme used on Lizardfolk 35/80 from the Harbinger set of pre-painted models.

Because of the club, the depth of field is a bit difficult for the macro setting in some of the picks - the top row is the traditional side views that I normally post.  The second row of images are quarter turns in front and rear of the miniature.  I think these two pictures give the best representation of the figure as the depth of field is reduced to the width cast of the mold.

Basically I used a base color and a highlight with a wash of the base color watered down to bring the two together for each section of the model.

Painting Instructions for Lizard Folk (Inzixt):

Step 1: Undercoat model with black primer
Step 2: Use Dark Angels Green on all the main skin areas
Step 3: Use Snot Green on all main skin areas
Step 4: Wash all skin areas with watered down Dark Angels Green
Step 5: Use Red Gore on spine
Step 6: Use Blood Red on spine scales
Step 7: Use Golden Yellow as a splash on spine behind head
Step 8: Use Sunburst Yellow as a splash on spine behind head
Step 9: Use Camo Green on belly
Step 10: Use Rotting Flesh on belly
Step 11: Wash belly with watered down Camo Green mixed with Sepia ink
Step 12: Use Scorched Brown on all wood and leather
Step 13: Use Bestial Brown on all wood
Step 14; Use Vomit Brown on all leather
Step 15: Use Vomit Brown on claw nails
Step 16: Use Bleached Bone on claw nails
Step 17: Use Camo Green on wrap around spears
Step 18: Wash wrap around spears with watered down Sepia ink
Step 19: Use Warlock Purple on tongue
Step 20: Use Tentacle Pink on tongue
Step 21: Use Bad Moon Yellow on eyeballs
Step 22: Use Chaos Black for pupils
Step 23: Drybrush Codex Grey on base
Step 24: Drybrush Fortress Grey on base
Step 25: Drybrush Skull White on base
Step 26: Use Chaos Black on sides of base

2 comments:

Bighara said...

Is that WOTC's D&D line or Chainmail? Some nice sculpts came out of those lines.

Rick Anderson said...

This is from the D&D line - they did come out with some very good miniatures all around 1999 - 2001.

There was the 25th anniversary edition in 1999 which I have the male fighter (these are very good sculpts and they're hard to find - I also have the Minotaur - http://minipaint.blogspot.com/2001/02/wotcs-male-fighter.html

There was the Dungeons & Dragons line which celebrated the release of 3rd edition which is what the Lizard Folk model came from (and I have more coming!)

At the same time in 2000-2001 was the re-release of chainmail and I have painted up the human templar - I have a bunch of the chainmail sitting in a box - unlike the other two lines they are difficult to put together - lots of gaps. http://minipaint.blogspot.com/2011/01/chainmail-human-templar-1288888001.html