Sunday, September 03, 2023

Reaper Miniatures Owlbear - 77156 and More with Contrast Paints

 



This owlbear has been sitting on my desk based for quite awhile and I had the perfect experiment for it - some more playing around with Contrast Paints - I'm using Vallejo's version called Xpress Color. They're hard to find in stock and therefore I have a limited pallet of Brown, Blue, Green, and Grey. Which is fine as I don't want to go crazy in investing in a new paint line without doing some more testing. The first was the freebie woodland fey creature which was a 3d printed model.

This is my first attempt at trying it on a Bones model - this is the original white bones which came from one of the early kickstarters. I didn't do anything special to it - no primer, nothing - I just wanted to see what would happen if I started slathering this new paint directly over a bones model.

The end result is okay. The paint pools into the depths leaving it light on top and dark in the recesses. The painting was quick and what I learned from the first model is I had to be careful painting within the lines. So with that level of care I literally slapped paint on as quickly as possible to see what I could get - sort of the situation every DM gets into - the game's tonight and you just thought of this great idea and you need to grab that non-painted mini off the shelf and get it ready for tonight's game. Certainly within 30 minutes you can have a respectable mini to game with.

Kickstarter paint total 180 + 1 Owlbear = 181


No comments: