Friday, September 01, 2017

Reaper Miniatures Hydra - 77191




Excuse the quality of the pics - this is a good size "miniature" from Reaper and the camera had major difficulties providing a macro focus on a figure this large.  I've put a single knight up against the Hydra for scale in the last two pictures.  This Hydra has five heads and towers over everything on the board.  I painted this one up over the past weekend as Hurricane Harvey was dumping rain everywhere canceling all outdoor events and forcing me to sit down and paint.  I needed a hydra in my upcoming D&D campaign, so this figure was bumped to the top of the list.

I originally was going to go with more of an alligator/crocodile paint scheme - which would have a more yellowish/creme underbody and a complete green body.  However, the more I thought about it I wanted a fantasy look and therefore I choose the purple on the scales.  For the underbody, I then moved to more of an orange based coloring with neutral tones for highlighting.

This was pretty much a straight up drybrush event starting with Imperial Purple to Tentacle Pink; Scaly Green to Vile Green mixed with Rottting Flesh; and Fiery Orange to Dwarf Flesh mixed with Bleached Bone.

Kickstarter paint total: 54 + 1 Hydra = 55 (should count as 5 - one for each head)


No comments: