Saturday, February 18, 2023

Reaper Miniatures Maggotcrown Ogre Juggernaut - 44011


This miniature is sitting on a 2" base and is pretty good size - basically it's an undead ogre - full title is Bones Black: Maggotcrown Ogre Juggernaut - it is part of the Bones Black line but I'm not sure why it uses the Bones Black in the title as there isn't a metal nor an original Bones version of this model (looking at Reaper's website there's only a handful which use the Bones Black in the naming of the figure).  

This is the first Bones Black miniature that I've painted and in my opinion much better than the original Bones material.  It's a bit harder, more rigid (but still has some flex which is good to keep paint from chipping on a drop), and holds detail much better.  Pricing appears to be about the same as the original Bones material.

After airbrushing the core colors in the previous three models, I wanted to test what it's like spraying metallic paint through an airbrush.  I used the base metal color in the Vallejo Air kit that was actually considered a primer.  It laid down beautifully - far better than I expected.  Normally I'd do a model like this with a black undercoat and then a lot of drybrushing.  Spraying down metal give the model an awesome look - very smooth and the metal dries in perfect flat without sheen.  I then used Vallejo Game Wash and a size 8 brush to carefully apply lots of wash to give the metallic paint depth and shadow.  I layered up the skull from a Filthy Brown, Bonewhite, Dead White and then a light Flesh Wash to tone it down.  Drybrushing of Cold Grey, Stonewall Grey, and DeadWhite on the base and that's it!

Rarely is there a model that I say oh that was easy and it looks great - usually it's a scale of effort to results - more effort = better results but less miniatures to the table and less effort = okay results but more miniatures to the table (the story of 2022).  I'm really liking what the airbrush can do to provide less effort and better results which equals more miniatures that look great!


No comments: