Monday, July 05, 2021

WizKids Bone Naga - WZK90086

 




This was an "interesting" experience/experiment.  I'm always on the quest for well painted miniatures for tabletop gameplay that can be painted quickly.  To that end, one of the techniques I've heard quite a bit about is "dipping" whereby you dip the painted miniature in a wash that then gives it depth.  Vallejo had recently come out with a very large pot they call "Vallejo Game Wash Dipping Formula".  The instructions say it's the perfect finish for miniatures... quickly creates shadows and instantly brings volume and depth.  Furthermore it says to shake well before using.

I figured the perfect miniature to test this on was a skeletal model - right - how easy - throw some layers of bone on, dip, and done!  Well, my experience wasn't great - maybe I'm just too picky but the end result was a mottled mess.

For the next few weeks you can catch it all on twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1077080014

I used my traditional layering technique going from a desert yellow to bone to white.  I was super happy with the look I was getting - if anything, maybe it just needed a wash of the base color desert yellow just to smooth out the layers.  However I went with giving it the dip - here are my thoughts...

  • Instructions were to shake - bad idea James Bond - the wash becomes an air bubble mess - I think it would have been better off stirred.  Will stir as needed next time.
  • Instructions say to dip the model into the pot - it came out a big bubbly mess with a thick wash that sticks on everything including hands (and I've washed five times and it's still on the hands).  It dries rather quickly and is a bit sticky until it does so.  The directions also say to remove the excess quickly - which I did using a number 8 brush and I did a combination of pulling the wash off as well as watering it down.  Next time, no dipping... I'll try using a brush along with thinning it down with a bit of water so it's more like a true wash.
  • The wash mottled the model - because of the centipede feet, the wash just clung to each bony protrusion and darkened/blacked-out the model's highlights with a wash that was bubbly (because of the shaking we did initially to the pot) and hard to control because it was drying faster than I could get the excess pulled off or watered down.  Additionally the pooling of the wash doesn't necessarily go where you want it.
  • The bottle says quick and easy way to achieve realistic shading effects - I think it just made the model very monochromatic in the black and white scale.

I know people have written blogs and rant and rave over YouTube on how awesome dipping is to quickly bring shadows and a finished look to miniatures. Maybe bone/skeletal critters aren't the answer for this wash technique and color?  Also, the model itself might not be conducive to dipping whereas a more solid piece without fifty protrusions is a better choice?  Also, I think the idea is to paint at the highlight layer, dip, and go.  I'll keep testing - but please put any thoughts in the comments below.

Painting instructions for Bone Naga (used Vallejo)...

Step 1: No need to primer - already done.
Step 2: Use Desert Brown to base model
Step 3: Use mix of Desert Brown and Bonewhite for a layer of highlights
Step 4: Use Bonewhite for the main highlights
Step 5: Use mix of Bonewhite and Dead White for final highlights
Step 6: Stop here or us a wash of Desert Brown to tone down the contrast if needed - Game Wash dipping formula not recommended

I hit my model up with a protective coating of matte clear and it will look great on the game table and I'm sure I'll still get lots of oohs and aahhs.  


No comments: