Sunday, August 22, 2021

Reaper Miniatures Charnel Grub - 77226

 






Enough with dipping experiments - back to straight up layer painting from a base coat to a highlight coat.  The carrion crawler has gone through a few changes from 1st edition through 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons.  This is Reaper's representation of the 3.x edition of the carrion crawler.  Here's my fifth edition carrion crawler by wizkids. Therefore I used the 3.5 monster manual as my reference material / source of inspiration for my painting.

Because of how the model's feet sit on the base, I actually painted this inverse or from the ground up.  I did the base first, then the feet, then the body, and finished the tentacles last.  For a short time you can catch my second half of painting this classic monster on my twitch channel - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1123805940

Painting instructions for Charnel Grub (used my Vallejo Game Color)...

Step 1: I'm using Stynylrez primer on the bones models - just slop it on and cover everything - it works great!
Step 2: Use Black on base, lower body, and inside mouth
Step 3: Drybrush Cold Grey on rock
Step 4: Drybrush Stonewall Grey on rock
Step 5: Use Dark Green on body and tentacles
Step 6: Use Terracotta on the mandibles
Step 7: Use Parasite Brown as a highlight on the inside of the mandibles
Step 8: Use Warlord Purple on tongue
Step 9: Use Plague Brown on teeth
Step 10: Use Bonewhite as highlight on teeth
Step 11: Use Sick Green on body and tentacles
Step 12: Use Goblin Green on body and tentacles
Step 13: Use Escorpena Green to highlight body and tentacles
Step 14: Use Livery Green to for final highlight on body and tentacles
Step 15: Use mix of Livery Green and Dead White for final highlight on tentacles and top of head

Kickstarter paint total: 153 + 1 Charnel Grub = 154


No comments: