Saturday, October 21, 2023

Reaper Miniatures Frost Devil - 77324 or Contrast Paints to the Rescue

 



I have this great idea for tonight's Dungeons and Dragons session and I need four specific miniatures. Three of them are sitting on the painted shelf from other games, but one is sitting in a pile of Bones minis unpainted!

Vallejo Xpress Color paints to the rescue! However, with a new technique I've been hearing about for utilization with contrast paints - something called slapchop which is just the dumbest name ever and every streamer out there has their own version of it. 

Here's the Rick super speedy version - undercoat black, hit the crap out of the model with a white drybrush thinking about your light source. Then use your contrast paints and the black and white undercoat helps to give the darks and lights of the light source - so the paint gives depth in the recesses of the model and the undercoating your highlights and shadows from light.

Not the most beautiful paint job in the world, but certainly serviceable and I completed just in the nick of time with a painted model which is 1000x better than showing up with an unpainted model at the table. Note that I didn't properly base it - just tacked it on with some putty - I'll get it based properly later.

I call that a big win!

Kickstarter paint total 181 + 1 Frost Devil = 182


No comments: