Saturday, November 06, 2021

Reaper Miniatures Goldar, Male Barbarian - 77047

 



I'm currently working on three heroes for our in-home Temple of Elemental Evil reincarnated produced by Goodman Games.  It's a beautifully done reprint and expansion of the original T1-4 module produced by TSR.  We're having a great time - I'm repurposing an elven cleric and half-elven paladin for two of the party members and painting up a human barbarian, human rogue, and a half-elven sorcerer.  The barbarian was completed last night and the other two have their base layers done and I just need to add a bit to finish them.

Painting instructions for Goldar, Male Barbarian (used Reaper paints)...

Step 1: I'm using Stynylrez primer on the bones models - just slop it on and cover everything - it works great!
Step 2: Use Uniform Brown on skin
Step 3: Use Stained Olive on cloak
Step 4: Use Rusty Red on axe handle
Step 5: Use Ruddy Brown on leather bits and loin cloth
Step 6: Use mix of Ruddy Brown and Tusk Ivory to pick out feathers of loin cloth
Step 7: Use Dragon Black on metal bits
Step 8: Use mix of Filigree Silver and Retro Slate on metal bits
Step 9: Use Green Ochre to highlight skin
Step 10: Use Faded Khaki as final highlight on skin
Step 11: Use mix of Ruddy Brown and Rich Leather and Faded Khaki to highlight leather bits
Step 12: Use mix of Stained Olive and Faded Khaki on cloak
Step 13: Use mix of Stained Olive and add more Faded Khaki on cloak
Step 14: Use a wash/glaze of Uniform Brown on skin
Step 15: Use a wash/glaze of Stained Olive on cloak
Step 16: Use Dragon Black on base
Step 17: Drybrush Cold Grey on base
Step 18: Drybrush Stonewall Grey on base

Kickstarter paint total: 162 + 1 Goldar, Male Barbarian = 163

Just for fun - I took pictures before using a protective matte finish (above) and afterwards (below).  I always double-coat my game playing pieces - first with Rust-Oleum's Matte Finish protective finish for craft projects - it says matte, but it still has a sheen - however, it does lay a very good protective layer.  Then I hit it with Testors' Dulllcote which brings the shine back down - not completely, but close.  If it's a model that I'm going to use very little and then place onto the display shelf then I'll use the Testors' Dullcote only.  It offers some protection on its own, but the combination of the two makes for an awesome barrier that withstands any abuse I've ever thrown at a mini including drops and I don't have to be careful at all on the game table - just scoop up the minis and throw 'em in a bin when I'm done.




No comments: