Sunday, September 29, 2019

RAFM Shrieking Scarecrow - 3856



This one has been sitting on my desk a long long long long time.  Probably about 17 years long - because in 2002 I was starting to move from painting Game Workshop models (which is what I learned on) and making my way over to painting other brands as collectable display pieces.  I purchased a bunch of hexagonal bases from Reaper Miniatures and put a bunch of Reaper's on them.  Painted these up to display model standards (not for gaming).  Those efforts led to Stern, an Orc, Samantha (which I gave to my mom for her shelf because it looks like her), and Golgath who is my goto for skeleton technique.  I have these on a display shelf in a glass cabinet.

This RAFM miniature is even older than that because it has that armature feel of very early miniatures when sculpting was still in its infancy.  The pumpkin is rather well done as is the gravestone in comparison to the scarecrow body.  Amazingly enough, you can still pick these miniatures up.  I don't know the history of RAFM other than I know they've been around a long time.  It looks like someone in Canada is still creating these miniatures under the RAFM name (says they've been at it for 35 years).  One brand new Shrieking Scarecrow if you'd like.  Unfortunately the website doesn't state the sculptor. 

I started last year painting a halloween piece in the fall - last year was the Halloween Tree from Reaper.  I grabbed this old piece - dusted it off and added a kitty on the front side (came from Reaper's familiars pack).  Then painted it up.  I used mostly a drybrushing technique on the scarecrow to give it a grainy old weathered feel to it and then used a blending technique on the pumpkin itself as that's really the centerpiece of this model.  Unlike my other hexagonal based miniatures, I might actually use this one against a group of characters in a Dungeons and Dragons game night - maybe the head gets thrown and explodes pumpkin guts and then reappears back in hand to be thrown again - kinda like Green Goblin throwing pumpkins in the old Spiderman cartoons I watched as a kid.

No comments: