Wednesday, January 31, 2018

WizKids Direwolf - WZK73184

 




There's game-changing excitement in the miniatures world being provided by WizKids at the moment and that's with their new plastic miniatures line.  Go to www.wizkids.com/unpainted for their complete line.  What's awesome about these?  (a) the quality of the sculpt and model; (b) they're already prepped and primed with Vallejo primer; (c) they're licensed from D&D or Pathfinder so you're getting the monsters right out of the monster manual; (d) the price - they're all priced at $4.99 - you either get two small figures or one large figure for that price - fantastic!

This Direwolf is out of the Deep Cuts Pathfinder line.

I've been buying them up like crazy since they first came out - but I finally broke open the package on one of them and did a quick paint job.  I figured the Direwolf would be quick and easy.  I just got out a bunch of Vallejo browns, bone, white, and black - then went to town on the model.  So much fun - no prep, just paint.  And the model looks great!  I'm very much looking forward to buying and painting more of these models.

The only negative is the base.  The miniature is self-based and then they provide a thin round base to fit the appropriate spacing on the gaming table.  One could just glue the miniature on this base and call it done.  But it doesn't look right to me as the base is too thin and I can't tag the base with my model name.  Here's the fun part.... I received a 3D printer at Christmas... and I've already figured out how to make great square bases at 1", 2", 3", etc. with just the right height and inside depth to hold the miniature.  Add a bit of compound filler around the mini and it's all good!

Not necessarily a negative - but a bummer... nowhere on the package nor on their website does it have the sculptor.  I always like to keep track and give credit to the sculptors that make this hobby what it is today.


No comments: